View Single Post
Old 09-20-2016, 07:44 PM   #123
rkn463

Re: 68 C50 Looongbed pickup build

Hi Everyone,

Here is my weekly update. As usual I did not accomplish anywhere near as much as I had hoped, however good progress was made!

Last week I started trying to find the last piece of the power steering/hydroboost system that needs either re-sealing or replacing. It is the auxiliary electric pump on the hydroboost unit. I had called my main source for this type of item and the news was bleak, over 300 dollars to have it rebuilt and since they have no cores I would have to send mine in with no guarantee that they could rebuild it. Mind you it does work, I'm just replacing it for fear that it is contaminated with brake fluid and I don't want to take a chance that it will start spitting particles of disintegrated seals into my expensive "new" (rebuilt) hydroboost unit. So Saturday morning I removed the aux unit to take to my local auto parts store to see if by chance they could get it. Now this in no O'Reilly or AutoZone, this is an old school guy that knows how to read words written on paper! I know, crazy, right?

Anyway he did couldn't get it but did give me a couple of leads that I haven't had a chance to follow up on yet. I also went by TSC and picked up enough grade 8 bolts, washers and nuts to finish reinstalling the reinforcing plates (along with more Rust-Oleum). I also tried out a burger joint in Meridian Texas (right next to the Sheriff's office/jail) that may be the best burger I ever ate. If you get the chance - Morgan Street Burgers. https://www.facebook.com/Morgan-Stre...6227204225108/

Here are pictures of the aux pump laying beside the old hydroboost unit, along with the tag that has the GM part number. When I googled the number I came up with several hits, just no-one that has it. I did find a nifty diagram that shows it!

-Richard
Attached Images