View Single Post
Old 12-04-2020, 09:02 AM   #691
Slimegreeeeeen

Re: Let's post 60-66 SUBURBAN Only Pictures

Name:  PR SHOT IN BURB'S ENGINE BAY.jpg
Views: 1293
Size:  94.7 KB

After twelve years, I've decided to refresh the old girl. I frankly lost interest in "Ratiki" after my dear friend, CRASH!, who did all of the handpainted bamboo and tiki touches passed away in her sleep a few years ago.

Now I'm realizing it's time to honor her and the Burb by knocking off the cobwebs and turning her into a real driver, which was the original goal until things got carried away.

I have a Smeding Performance engine going together as I write this.

Their Hot Rod Series 383 Stroker with 420hp, 250tq, Holley Sniper fuel injection. It's not super crazy and will have plenty of manifold vacuum at idle for my power accessories. I'm hoping to a travel trailer with it and vend shows once we're out of the pandemic.

In advance of my engine's arrival, I'm removing its old engine and detailing the frame and engine compartment to be a great, clean, daily driver, I''m strongly considering a rack and pinion front end that would allow for the drivable ride height to be appreciably lower. It's already bagged but a bit antiquated by today's standards.

I'm hoping to keep my rear bags and C-notch while updating my stock front bags along with the stock front cross-member for superior drivability.

I'm eye-balling Porterbuilt and GSI set us for airbags. Now looking to lay frame but to make it drive lower and as well as possible. I've made inquiries to both. Not cheap, but I figure it's now or never and I have dedicated garage space, tools, and time.

For now, I'm bagging and tagging, cleaning, and marking all connections and parts so that everything can go back in its place. Also detailing components while they're out.

I've got a batch of Eastwood paints, rust inhibitors, and scouring pads that just arrived. Time to clean, scuff, and respray while I have a clean shot at everything.

The next step will be to remove the front clip. Carefully. It's time time to touch up some of the parts that have suffered mild wear or deterioration over the years and replace other components as needed.

The frame where brake fluid dripped on it. Inner fenders with bubbling and slight surface rusting here and there. The normally hard-to-reach places that for the first time in twelve years, won't be inaccessible.

The brake fluid reservoir, which has suffered some major bubbling where I stupidly had it powder-coated prior to installation will be swapped or completely sandblasted and recoated.

The radiator will need a redo or replacement.

It's time to do an overall cleanup and make everything nice and presentable but nowhere near show-car level. After all, I've jumped that shark before.

It's going to be a lot of work. But also, a lot of fun. Will post periodic updates. And please weigh-in if you have opinions or advice to share.
Attached Images

Slimegreeeeeen is offline   Reply With Quote