View Single Post
Old 11-02-2014, 06:42 PM   #1
burnitg

Project Screamer - '72 GMC K2500 + DD 4-53T

I’m starting a project to build my dream truck – a 1972 GMC K2500 with a 4-53T Detroit Diesel.

I learned how to drive in my father’s 1972 GMC. Unfortunately, it is long gone. It succumbed to rust and went to the scrapper.

My ’72 was strictly a sentimental purchase. I have many great memories of my dad’s truck and wanted one of my own. From that standpoint, it is a great truck. Every time I get in, it feels like I’ve stepped into a time machine and I am a kid again.

My dad’s truck was a 2WD. It did fine until things got wet and in Southern Alabama, things got wet frequently. I spent a lot of time getting it unstuck and longed for a 4WD.

I also longed for a truck with a Diesel engine. My father was a partner in an earth moving company that built dikes for fish ponds. He had lots of diesel powered equipment including my favorite, a 12 yd. Euclid scraper with a 6-71 Detroit Diesel. I loved the sound of that “Screaming Jimmy” both at idle and full throttle.

Fast forward 40 years – I have owned 3 pickups, an Isuzu P’up, a Dodge W250 and a Ford F-250, all with Diesel engines.

My fourth is the ’72 GMC. My goal for this conversion is to have a truck that looks as if it came from the factory with the 4-53T installed.

Here's the truck parked in our meadow.

Name:  GMC in the Meadow 9 - small.jpg
Views: 8069
Size:  69.5 KB

Here's the engine. It is out of a 1979 Chevy C-70. The truck was cheap because the engine was making lots of white smoke - poor compression or bad blower (or both!) - so an overhaul is in its future.

Name:  DSC03309 - small.jpg
Views: 6012
Size:  83.4 KB

Here's the transmission. It is a Fuller RT-6610 and is a "take out" too. It will be getting an overhaul and conversion to overdrive.

Name:  DSC03451 - small.jpg
Views: 6257
Size:  74.6 KB

Here's my first attempt at fitting the engine into the frame. DD's are tall so fitting it without a suspension or body lift will be difficult.

Name:  Engine in Frame - small.jpg
Views: 6366
Size:  73.0 KB

Name:  DSC03464 - small.jpg
Views: 5597
Size:  89.2 KB

I will update this post as I make progress. Be patient, I’m not in a hurry…
burnitg is offline   Reply With Quote