View Single Post
Old 12-30-2018, 10:41 PM   #7
76C10Stepside

Re: 01 Blazer p0300 code

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61_FL_Apache View Post
It seems like this issue came on kinda slowly. It started out as the engine was taking longer to start. Once started it ran fine. That lasted for a few weeks then it got worse. There were no CEL's at the time.

Once my daughter said she broke down when trying to leave a store, we went an rescued her. I was able to start it up and get the car home. I put a code scanner on it and first got a p306 code and started down that road. I replaced the cap and rotor to start and nothing changed. I was no longer getting the p0306 but it switched to p0300. I looked at the #6 wire and plug and the spark plug was firing.

After some research, many people pointed to a worn dist gear. This car has 114k on it, but who knows. I pulled the distributor and it looks like new. Someone had replaced not that long ago. The gear looked great and there was no play from top to bottom.

Some have suggested the crank position sensor and that's likely what I will throw at it next.

I would like some feedback from you guys if you have had this issue.

Thanks in advance for your help!
I see no "0306" trouble code for GM OBD2 ECMs. However, I suspect the ignition module is the problem.

I recently started having intermittent stall at idle and intermittent no-start on my '89 S10 Tahoe. It has the ODB1 ECM and no trouble codes were stored. I found that the two contacts that connect the ignition module to the field coil (both parts are inside of the distributor on my truck) were very rusty. After removing it and scraping the rust off, it tested good, but I decided to replace it anyway.

I suggest you start by checking the contacts that connect it to the field coil for corrosion. This one plug does not have a weather seal on it (and in my case the contacts did not have any dielectric grease to protect them). If they are rusty, scrape the rust off and retest or replace the ignition module.
76C10Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote