View Single Post
Old 03-24-2020, 11:52 AM   #13
FAKKY

Re: beginner painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
Ok, so I made myself watch the video ... well, most of it. Even though the kid does a fair job of producing a watchable video, I still had a hard time watching because I kept wanting to yell "hey, SLOW DOWN !". Essentially he did everything ok, but much too fast.
Paint, whether from a gun or can needs to be applied WET. That is, it needs to be heavy enough that one pass will flow into the previous pass. Going slower and overlapping strokes by 50% will let the paint flow into a more consistent sheet of wet paint.
As someone has already mentioned, spray bomb tips or nozzles range in quality from totally worthless to fairly nice. The good tips have a decent fan pattern that will help immensely when laying down your color. I think it's Duplicolor brand that uses one called "fan spray tip". It's advertised right on the can. Look for it.
Then there is positioning. Spraying flat and shooting straight down like the kid did will help paint flow out evenly instead of running, but due to spray can design, will most likely cause paint starving after only half the contents are expelled. This of course is due to the pickup tube inside the can no longer being immersed as paint runs out. Pick your poison here: Paint upright and get all the paint out of the can, or paint flat and hope you get a good portion of the contents out before you start skipping and sputtering.
Make sense?
Sure does and good tips.
I plan to use the spray can method for my engne cover .... as its small and I dont think it warrants buying all the gear.
But since I have built everything on this truck - even the transmission - I feel like I should tackle the paint. The body looks really straight given work PO did ...... but still need to determine how good is good enough and how to tell when sanding etc. eg I dont even know what paint is currently on truck .... Im assuming its a black primer over the top of a skim coat of glaze/puttty .... - but who knows .....