View Single Post
Old 10-30-2018, 12:47 PM   #50
SRT8-X

Re: '69 C10 327 SBC Off Idle Stumble / Misfire Help - I feel like I've tried EVERYTHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironangel View Post
Run your valves again to verify you dont have one or more hanging open. Use the EOIC method, never mind cutting a valve cover. Secondly, maybe I missed it but what cam & lifters are you running? Thirdly, find a proven functional carb off another small block with comparable cam and heads just to verify a carb problem. Surely a friend or board member, perhaps a local speed shop or drag racer has a carb laying around to loan for a couple of test hits?...Lastly, read up on mods to the accelerator pumps on those AFB carbs. With those heads and a comparable semi race cam a stock 600 cfm AFB squirter aint going to cut it. I'm thinking either more volume of the squirt, and/or a longer duration of the squirt will make your 327 snap to attention...I'd loan you a proven Cliff Ruggles Quadrajet if you were closer and running a spread bore intake...Good luck, your well on your way to becoming an expert AFB guy!
Thanks Ironangel! I appreciate the advice. I was thinking old school with the valve adjustment when I suggested that but have since been turned on to the EOIC method and watched a few good videos on this. I just remember seeing my dad do this running a few decades ago and haven't needed to adjust an SBC valves until now.

Regarding the cam, it's mild at best, no lope or choppy idle but I cannot be certain what the specs are on the cam and lifters. I'd say its similar to what may have been in this 327 stock and I doubt it was one of the HP 'Vette units. My knowledge is that it was from a '65 Nova but even this could have been 275HP+.

Noting again that I had the previous Carter AFB 600 CFM with similar issues, this makes me believe it's not the carb since my dad was a carb guru and rebuilt AFB, Holley and Q-Jet's for a hobby. I'll definitely take a look at a borrowed carb if the float adjustment doesn't do the trick as well as accelerator pump alternates.

Thanks again for the comments and encouragement!
2000 JEEP Cherokee Sport XJ 4x4 4.0/4A (RUBY, son #2)
2013 VW GTI Driver's Edition 1.8T/6A (GRAU GEIST, son #1)
2016 BMW X5 xDrive50i MSport 4.4L N63/8A (SCHNEEWITTCHEN)
SRT8-X is offline   Reply With Quote