View Single Post
Old 10-03-2008, 02:13 AM   #34
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: The Story Of A Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut64052 View Post
Great thread you have going here.

Question:
Do you still recall what evaporator you used? I'm getting ready to restore my air and, while I'd like to use the original POA setup, I don't wanna hassle with finding a working one (tested mine and it doesn't work anymore-- a DOA POA), so I'm going to build a CCOT system, which looks like what you're doing. I've done considerable web surfing and it looks like new manufacture POAs have gone the way of the Dodo bird . . . at least for now.

The '73 and up evap cases are pretty similar looking. Also some 70's cars had similar cases. Wondered if you remembered what you used for an approximate fit.
FOUND IT!! Man, that is a big file......

Anyways, 15-6249/3035171. Link to image Application is: '77 Chevelle, Monte, Impala. From what I can tell, it was used for a little over a year, so avaliability might be tough. The only major size difference between this unit and the original unit core-wise is this unit is one "row" shorter. IIRC, I made a thin strip of sheetmetal to fill the space and to mount the weatherstripping to. With my huge condenser and the duct mods under the dash (eliminate one hose going to the center vent for improved airflow) I figured the one tube missing would not be too noticable.

15-1648 Accumulator with the inlet at 6:00 and the outlet at 3:00 (pointing at pass fender) This one works good because the high side hose and low side hose can be run together, uh, "bundled"(??) for a cleaner look to the hoses because the evap inlet on the 15-6249 points at the pass fender also.

(The 15-xxxx numbers are AC Delco numbers)

Hope it helps.