View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 11:30 PM   #44
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: The Story Of A Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss View Post
OK I own a 24 valve cummins in my 07 Dodge, but the 6bt and 4bt thing throws me, I know what a 12 valve is so what is the 4-6bt??? I am interested, as buying a install type kit would be worth every penny for me cause my time is worth more than $$$ in most cases.
6BT is:

6: Number of cylinders

B: Cummins engine series

T: Turbo

And technically, I am dealing with a 6BTA in my conversion

A: Aftercooled (Intercooled)

So to make a long answer longer, a 4BT is a four cylinder version of the 6BT. There are several sources for them. They do not live a long happy extended life when the screws are turned, but they do make respectable horse power while making gobs of torque (keeping in mind they are 3.9L). With the correct gearing, a fun-to-drive vehicle could be had while making some extremely impressive mileage. If I had it to do over, I'm pretty sure I would have gone with a 4BT. So much simpler. There are factory mounts to mate up with GM truck frames, adpaters to mate up with GM bell housings and being two cylinders shorter, much easier to adapt.

4btswaps.com has some good info on them.