View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008, 01:26 AM   #46
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: The Story Of A Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

I got a little more done here this weekend. I have been working on the intercooler tubes off and on for awhile and finally got the fitted. They worked out pretty good as I was able to re-route and re-engineer them to fit where they need to be. I cut some out here to bring this up or over or down and I used the chunk I cut out to lengthen this piece or drop that part down etc. When the sparks settled I ended up with about 3/4" of tube left over.

Passenger side tube:

A different angle:

The way the Banks kit was set up, it used a hose that ran from the intake plenum, ran across the top of the motor, across the exhaust manifold, past the turbo to the wastegate actuator (the thing with the green cap on the end of the hose nipple). I did not really care for the aesthetics of that. The pressure is the same after the turbo and before the intake manifold anywhere in the system, so I decided to make the plumbing a bit cleaner. I installed the passenger side tube and reached around to the back and found a spot that could not be seen from the front of the vehicle. I pulled the tube back out and put a dot on it. I then bored a .187 hole in the tube and took a hose nipple I made out of a piece of .187 brake line that I put a bubble flare on the end of and silver soldered it into the intercooler tube. Now, a hose can be run off of that nipple around the back of the I/C tube and loop up and around to the wastegate actuator. Instead of the hose hanging out in front of GOD and everybody, it will just kind of show up from out of nowhere and loop around to its final destination. About one foot of hose versus about four feet.

Like this:

The driver's side was quite the pain in my hinder. I think every straight section of the pipe had to be modified. After all the work that went into it I think it looks pretty good. In the bottom of the pic the infernal power steering lines can be seen. The chunk of bulk hose running kind of parallel to the I/C tube is power steering fluid return to the pump from the cooler that needs final routing and to be trimmed to length.

I built my hydroboost and installed it awhile back, but there was no photographic proof of it. I was going to use a H/B off of a late 80's V3500, but the mounting plate was so gangly I did not like how it looked and was not enthused about the amount of work needed to make it fit. I had another H/B off of a '99 C3500. This is the way to go. It has an extremely simple mounting plate that lends itself well to modification. I inverted the mounting plate and bored two holes in it and that was it--done. I had to enlarge the hole in the firewall a few thousandths to get the nut that holds the H/B unit to the plate to fit through the hole and I lengthened the input rod a bit. I used some fluid lines for a mid 90's C3500HD with a 5.7L. They were NOT a bolt on deal, but they required the least amount of modification to fit (the least amount, but still a lot). I liked them a lot because they come off the H/B unit on the engine side of the unit instead of the fender side like the V Series hoses. This gave me room for my clutch master cylinder which is also visible in the pic. Obviously it is in, but I do not have a couple key pictures to illustrate the work done and it would take too much to try to explain what I did, so I am going to hold off describing that whole deal until I get a few pics of a couple parts.

Last edited by mosesburb; 11-13-2017 at 02:35 AM.
mosesburb is offline   Reply With Quote