View Single Post
Old 01-06-2015, 11:46 PM   #44
rickoner

Re: My Drive-way Build - '65 short pants

Damn near finished the steering set-up tonight. Both notches are tacked in and clearance it great. All I have to do is do a bit of grinding so the idler arm sits flush on the frame and drill the holes for it. I'm going to hold off on burning everything in until I can take it to my buddy's shop. I only have a 110 welder at my house and I don't think it has enough umphhhh for the job. One thing that I don't really like is that since the steering box is spaced off of the frame, it holds the drag link off-center in the frame. The only way to fix this is to recess the frame like on the later frames. I'm assuming that even though I don't care for this, it's not going to be an issue because all of the other adapters do the same thing? Here's the pics...

I'm also going to brace the top part of the adapter plate. Still debating which way I want to go about it. I could use some of the 1/4" plate that I have or I was thinking about scabbing the piece of the newer frame on top. I'm going to kick that around for a bit.

Thinking ahead a bit to the steering shaft and intermediate shaft, will the steering shaft from a 67-72 fit into my '65 column? I like how that shaft is splined on the end. If they fit, anybody have an extra they'd like to sell? I'm thinking this would make fitting an intermediate shaft with universals a piece of cake.
rickoner is offline   Reply With Quote