Thread: 292 Questions
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2019, 06:46 PM   #188
May70

Re: 292 Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
I had a points dizzy once that produced changing timing like that.
Found the points plate that the points and condenser are attached to could flex upwards which would change the dwell and timing.
Easy test is to lift upwards on the condenser. The points plate shouldn’t move upwards.
Mind you, this was back 40 years ago so my memory is a bit fuzzy!
So I just went out and tried it. I could lift the plate straight up like a quarter inch. I made a crummy little video of a series of blabbling with what Ive done/whats going on so excuse the garbage quality I dont know how to do the youtube thing. Youll probably have to pause the video to read the text because for some reason it flips really fast. The first part of it shows me looking at dizzy.

https://youtu.be/Zf4fD4nMNiA

Lifting that plate changed my dwell because before it was 31 and afterwards it was 29. Tell me if this was what you meant.

I said in the video that my timing didnt change but now im confused because it should have changed more than what it did. It may have increased the timing 1 or 2 degrees. If every degree of dwell is three degrees of advance it should have been way higher. Keeping in mind the engine wasn't quiet warmed up all the way. Thoughts?
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote