View Single Post
Old 08-04-2020, 07:33 PM   #15
cornerstone

Re: Backhoe recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
mini-ex machines are weak and fragile

I used one for about an hour when my brother in law rented one, and truthfully I was not impressed, but it was a smaller one.

however manufactures diag software is proprietary and not available to end user while Cat ET and the like are.. this may not sound like much but today's machines are loaded with logic controlled gadgets and you'll need that interface tool eventually on all of them.
[/I]This brings up a relevant question... I would hope to be able to repair it myself, so maybe I should be looking for an older unit that doesn't force me to need the dealer for diagnostics.[/I]

I'll be joining you in the purchase of one in the near future for our farm, not sure how we've managed all these years without one
I presume you'll be on the hunt for a Caterpillar?

I plan on checking the local Ritchie auctions in Odessa near the farm when I'm ready for the plunge.. you may want to check local reputable auctions near you for good deals..
I watched all the backhoes run through Ritchie Brothers Auction last week, but unfortunately I didn't have time to inspect the equipment before hand. I didn't feel brave enough to trust their inspection reports.

good luck!
Thanks Killer Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
What are your plans for it , foundations septic tanks than a big machine is needed.
Yeah, general construction stuff. I need to make a road through some rough terrain, and some grading work for erosion control.
Thanks Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post

Price is king, Cat or Case, but don't buy junk.
What's your opinion on JCB?

The best deals come from dealer rental fleets. Large projects tend to rent equipment and then let it sit. We have bought some low hr machines for cheap that way. We bought the one pictured a couple of months ago, with 200 hrs, out of Caterpillars rental fleet. Check with a dealer or rental company about buying from the rental fleet.
I like this plan! I'd bet the maintenance is more regular with a rental too.
Thanks other Larry!

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote