View Single Post
Old 08-29-2016, 01:20 AM   #1255
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: The Story Of A Cummins Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985-GMC View Post
Haha if that's the case I'll definitely be owing you and several others a lot of royalties for stealing all your ideas.

I can't remember where this picture came from but I thought it was pretty sweet too.
That Suburban looks like a sweet setup inside. The swingout is very nice. Very long too. You stated you have barn doors. With that, you be better off doing a double swingout instead of a single. Easier to use in confined area and you can make the side that corresponds with the door handle door open first so if you just have to throw something in, you don't have to deal with a monster swingout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70custom20 View Post
I'm way, way late to the game here. I just found the diesel swap section of this board when I started reading through some of dieselwrencher's posts. I'm on page nine of your thread. Here on the east coast, most of the old '67-'72 4wd pickups and suburbans are pretty much non existent. My father in law had an old 4wd suburban back in the '80's. He did a body swap from his '70 K20 to the suburban chassis, and vice versa. My wife used to ride in it when she was a kid. The suburban body is long gone, but he still has the '70 K-20 pickup that he bought new in '69, it's beyond rough, lol. Anyway, you got my wheels turning, as many others that have read through this thread. I'm like a lot of the guys here, new to diesels, at least new to the idea of a diesel swap into one of these trucks. One of the things that kinda makes me shy away from the idea is how far back you have to set the engine, which puts the NV4500 farther back, transfer case, etc..... Being a pickup, I don't wanna lose the bench seat, these cabs are small enough to begin with. I love the modern upgrades, I'm dying to put AC in my truck, etc..... My junk is the typical 454, SM 465 with a 60 front, 14 bolt 4.10's truck. I started building the truck in '95 when I was 22 yrs old, and it's been on the road since '97. I'd love to pull it apart and start upgrading a lot of it, but right now time and space aren't in my favor. I'll have to get my photobucket account back in order so I can post a pic of two of my junk. Thanks for this thread, it's been a wealth of information. If you had to guess (maybe you already posted this in later pages) how much torque and horsepower do you think the Cummins is making?
Posted via Mobile Device
Ironically, Dieselwrencher probably has a better idea of power numbers on this than I would, but even at that, small adjustments of the pump make large changes in performance measured on the butt dyno, so power is very difficult to put an accurate number is on.

Anyway, as far as starting a conversion, it sounds like you have a good setup going there right now. To do the conversion in a quality fashion requires a ton of time and maybe even more money. One can be done cheaper, but if you want something reliable and serviceable, it takes a bunch to get it right. I recommend taking an accurate inventory of known items needed for the conversion and then double it for everything that pops up along the way. You are starting with basically what I had when I began this and to be honest, I would have probably been better off financially sticking with the big block and putting an overdrive transmission in it and using the rest of the pile of money spent on the conversion for fuel and good times. On this site alone, you have several good threads describing and illustrating the process. Look at the dates of the posts and see how long the conversions have taken. There have been many more that started out very strong and then fizzled out before they got to the home stretch. Know what you are starting into before you tear apart a solid, running truck.

There. Now should you decide to actually do it, make sure you start a thread so we can see the process. Threads are also a good motivator as well. It sounds goofy, but many times by posting pics etc, it gave some motivation to plug along through the doldrums of the project. Definitely post up some pics of what you have. Sounds like a good solid drivetrain!!