View Single Post
Old 03-23-2024, 06:05 PM   #1
clyde72

72 K10 350 skips after warmup

new member, although Ive been lurking and searching here and following advice but Im officially stumped. Im no motor expert but I have done a couple 350 "freshen up" rebuilds in the past
1972 K10, 350, quadrajet ,edelbrock manifold, th 350 trans.
The engine had a skip when I bought the truck in May, i found 0 compression in #1 cylinder, 150 ish in all others, I took off the valve cover and noticed one of the #1 rockers was tightened down a good deal more than the rest, I backed it off and viola, 150 lbs compression and no skip. I used the truck as a daily all summer for 5000 miles, even towed the wifes restored 18 ft 74 Shasta camper around no problem.
Then it started skipping again so I put in in the garage for some attention, did all the brakes,lines,calipers, wheel cylinders, shocks, 2.5 inch lift...bla bla
Back to the skip, I replaced the carb gaskets and checked the valve adjustments and it got worse...I use a laser temp gun on the headers and #1 and #4 cylinders run a good deal cooler than the rest, like 280 -300 degrees compared to 550 ish on the rest.
So heres what Ive done
Rechecked compression, all 145, 150
readjusted valves, was told to leave them kind loose, 1\4 turn ...?
Replaced HEI ignition with MSD distributor and coil, 12volts to coil, timing at 14 degrees
new plugs and wires
disassembled carb and cleaned with spray can, (didnt get into measurments) replaced filters
all of this has made 0 difference in the way it runs, wont skip for the first 5 minutes, after that it starts, worse under a load, forget towing the trailer
I`m lost...

Last edited by clyde72; 03-23-2024 at 06:17 PM.
clyde72 is offline   Reply With Quote