View Single Post
Old 12-06-2023, 07:26 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

Re: Performance Steering & Handling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
...Please don't take this the wrong way, but for the sake of discussion, I'll mention that I've come around to the Dirty Larry perspective on rear drums, haha, if you remember him. The fronts do so much of the work that it's a considerable cost to swap out a system that in good condition, is usually more than adequate. The discs definitely look cooler, and if you can snag a rear end that has the gears you want at the same time, that's a slam dunk.

I recently also read a good post on rear sway bars for pickups. I'll bet one off of a blazer would do just fine. But a pickup relies on independent rear end articulation to keep a firm tire contact patch in order to turn and stop well while it does not have a load in the back. And a sway bar, by tying the two sides of the suspension together, can end up causing less grip under certain conditions. I like putting sway bars on pickups to stop the wallowing, but it was a good thought to me to go with a stock size one like off of a half ton Suburban for a full size, so a stock S Blazer bar ought to be just the thing.
I've never gotten excited about rear disc brakes on anything. I know Larry and agree with him. The proof is in putting new pads on front three times with the rear shoes still looking good. It's just a sports car thing to do to the Sonoma and there is a factory set-up found in Blazers.

Never been big on rear sway bars on solid rear axles either. Rear springs on trucks don't really give body roll, it comes from up front with the weight and IFS. I've put sway bars on a few trucks and never felt a difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauXGT View Post
On my '91 I put 98-02 Camaro/T-A front and rear discs. I found a company that made the bigger rotors with bearing races for the fronts. No proportioning valve, which freaked out alot. I can slam on the brakes and the whole truck squats. No nose dive. I love it.
I still do have this mechanical ABS aftermarket system that some company was selling in the early '90's.
And replace the steering rag joint with a solid one. On the Sy/Ty.net site, someone was selling a Jeep one that was clocked for the turn signal cancellation that bolted right in. More road feel. That was 15 years ago.
A bigger front sway bar, but I got rid of the rear, even with an extended cab being it was way too hard of a casual driver.
And Bilstein shocks to firm up the ride. Some Sy/Ty'ers put in quick ratio boxes, but alot said if you were not going to track it, it wasn't worth it.
Too bad alot of the companies that did S10 accessories have since moved one to other things.
Thanks for all the info. What did you mean by "no proportioning valve, which freaked out a lot?". You eliminated the valve and now it stops flat?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote