View Single Post
Old 02-05-2015, 03:11 PM   #38
burnitg

Re: Project Screamer - '72 GMC K2500 + DD 4-53T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills View Post
That trans fits better than i was envisioning, looks good. Is that with any body lift? That will be a nice trans and with that many gears, should be able to keep the detriot in powerband. Plus i think you can powershift these?
Yes, there is a 2" body lift. I can't go any lower without the valve cover interfering with the top of the "nook" in the firewall. I would also have to cut out a lot more of the firewall around the bell housing. Ironically, I could lower the cab further if I didn't have the Jake brakes. The spacer is almost 2" thick. There's no way I am giving up the Jake brakes...

I did quite a bit of research on the transmission and final drive ratios. The RTO-6610 with 3.54 gears will give me the proper RPM's at cruising speed. The gear splits match the power band of the engine perfectly.

The RTO-6610 is a non-synchromesh transmission. It can (and I will) be shifted without using the clutch. Even though I hold a CDL, it has been many years since I drove a vehicle without a synchronized transmission. It should be interesting re-learning how to shift.
burnitg is offline   Reply With Quote