Thread: Electrical Help
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2020, 01:29 PM   #8
Matt Man

Re: Electrical Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
30V alternator output usually means your regulator inside the alternator is out to lunch. New Chinese electrical parts aren't much better than floor sweepings.
Hopefully you kept the old alternator.

If you run the truck for long with 30v coming out of it you could fry the Ignition module, ignition coil, and any light bulbs that are turned on... not to mention the battery, radio, wiper motor, ...

The SI series alternator has three connections. The BAT stud and a plug with two regulator connections.
  1. BAT is a 10 or 12ga battery charge wire that goes to a fusible link on the Junction studs on the firewall.
  2. The two wire Female Packard 56 plug is attached directly to the regulator through the slot with two terminals labeled 1 & 2 on the alternator case.
    1. Terminal is the Brown ignition sense wire. In 1981 it should run to the bulkhead plug. With gauges... Inside the cab it's a white 10Ω resistance wire from the CHOKE fuse to the bulkhead plug.
    2. Terminal is the Red voltage sense wire. This runs down through a fusible link to the Starter BAT terminal. The fusible link is on the starter end of the wire is shared with the power wire that runs directly to the bulkhead plug.

The red wire on terminal 2 should be hot along with the BAT terminal.
The brown wire shouldn't have volts with the ignition off.

You can buy a regulator. You need to test the diodes to make sure they are working properly.
I'd rebuild the original if you still have it.
I understand the alternator situation but this is alternator number 4 on the truck now I had the original one, the aftermarket, the one off my 67 all went bad, and now the replacement which bench tested fine at the store so I do not think it is the alternator at this point but something with the wiring. I think the issue is that my brown wire has volts all the time. Can I run a new wire to the fuse box with accessory power (key in run position) for the brown wire?

I just do not understand how it was working fine for the five years I have been driving it and now its a problem which makes me believe that something is drawing a lot of power somewhere under the dash (which explains the smoke I saw). I did check all the wiring under the dash and did not see anything damaged and is in good shape for the age. I appreciate the information which will be a huge help. I will keep investigating.
2020 Silverado Double Cab LT Z71 5.3 8 speed Daily Driver

K10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671934

The Peach build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=733903

Last edited by Matt Man; 04-01-2020 at 01:41 PM.
Matt Man is offline   Reply With Quote