Thread: Frankentruck
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2018, 06:44 PM   #41
cwcarpenter98

Re: Frankentruck

I don't recommend using a squarebody pedal unless it's the only thing you have on hand, or if it's cheap. In my case, it was 10 bucks, so that was ok. I already want to replace it with a pedal from 71 or 72. The 71 and 72 pedal has the metal part of the arm going straight down from the left of the mounting point. Mark shows it in better detail in his thread than what I can describe. The squarebody pedal angles back towards the right of the mounting point, so it was hitting my floor. In order to keep from bashing the floor in with a hammer to achieve WOT, I just moved the mounting point over.
It is only bolted through the firewall with two bolts, but the third bolt still holds the mount together. I don't think I lost any structural rigidity by doing it this way, but I would like to have the pedal a little farther away from the brake pedal.

With that all figured out, I got everything ready to start the engine. When I reinstalled the water pump, I had put a new seal on the back side of it. That seal ended up leaking, so I decided to replace it anyways. It wasn't worth it to me to try and fix up the GM water pump from 1964 when I could get a new one for less than 30 bucks.

My buddy found a Frankenstein head from some Halloween decoration I think, and after drilling out the base of it, it fit perfectly on top of the antenna.

Once all that was figured out, I was ready to start the engine. It started right up, but I had a massive vacuum leak. I did not realize that when using a "hot slot" intake manifold, that I also needed a metal gasket to seal off the base of the carb from the exhaust gases running through the intake. I got the correct gaskets, bolted it back on, and then the engine ran great again.
Attached Images

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote