View Single Post
Old 10-19-2016, 01:27 PM   #355
paintman

Re: 46 pickemup in NJ "the Rebuild"

Soooooo, I had one last painting chore to do before it turned cold here in Joisey.
One of the previous owners had smeared some kind of textured bed liner on the running boards. I kind of liked the idea and thought it looked old school, but as usual, it was done all 1/2 assed.
[/URL]

So I stripped all the stuff off the boards a couple of years ago not knowing if I was going to put something back on or just paint the entire running board like most guys do. I finally decided to put bed liner back on the boards but make it a little more classy looking. When i shot the Mango Tango I left a portion of the boards taped off for the bed liner.
[/URL]

After spending a couple of hours reading reviews on bed liners. I stumbled across this stuff. Monstaliner, the cool thing about this stuff is that it comes in your standard black. Or they can send it to you as a tintable base, with all kinds of colors to choose from. Just think of it as POR15 on steroids!
I was kicking around the idea of doing the boards with white, but settled on black. The black comes as a 2 part sytem with the base and catalyst. The little silver pouch contains a pudding like activator that you squeeze into the partialy full quart base. You also need there foam roller.
[/URL]

I scuffed up the epoxy primer I had put on originaly, then applied the 1st coat. Waited 4 hours and layed on a 2nd coat. Stuff goes on like thinned roofing tar. Their roller puts on a slight texture and the stuff dries out to a semi flat finish, which will match the rest of the Matte finish Mango Tango on the truck. Took almost a full quart. Turned out better than I expected. Not sure how it will hold up but all the reviews I read were positive.
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
And that is how a lolely house painter from New Joisey classes up an old pair of 46 Chevy Pickup running boards.

Mr. Magoo could care less.......................
[/URL]
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote