View Single Post
Old 05-29-2020, 10:47 AM   #11
sick472

Re: Added Custom Bed Rails to My Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_mc View Post
Wow...that's a lot of sanding & polishing. The wood extending up the inner sides of the bed looks great too... and gives you a lot of places to screw hooks for securing cargo...j/k!
Yeah! I've got a can of drywall screws and plumbers tape ready for the first load that needs to be secured. You gotta know that something will need to be hauled home at some point, but this bed will be restricted to dog food bags and soft things like pillows and chicks (young chickens) lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post
Have to ask...where did you find the metal to make them with. They look great!
Funny story...the 1/4"x2"x3" 6061 aluminum angle was quoted from ALRO Steel located here in my little industry heavy town at $260...jeeeez! That included a cutting fee becuase a 25 foot stick would not fit in my other truck. I asked an industrial contractor that I frequently hire and he was able to get it for me in his home town an hour away for $160. When I got it home...it came from ALRO in my town, but had made an hour trip out and an hour trip back and was $100 cheaper. It pays to know "a guy" as the big companies are not geared to care about the small guys. ALRO had bought a local steel supplier...the days of taking care of the community are gone!

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote