View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 11:34 PM   #2929
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Didn't take a "Before" picture This was a box my dad made when I was a kid so we'll over 50 years ago. He had masonry tool in it and if I'm not a carpenter he was waay worse than I am.

He never owned a power tool in his life. This box is 1x8 board w/plywood. His fitment was poor but rather than disassemble, recut and reassemble I just caulked the inside perimeter.

Painting our house one year he dropped a gallon of dark chocolate brown on the lawn. Rather than waste it he painted everything in sight with the spilled paint. 2 wood ladders, this box, other stuff. Yes, even with some grass clippings in it! Still, this was dad's so I wanted to use it.

I stripped w/belt sander, set the nail heads best I could, skimmed the splitting plywood, sanded, primed, and finish coated. It could use more finish work but it reminds me of him as he had it in the bed of his '59 Fleetside. I'll use it in my '55. It's more refined than he did it but I just made the best of what was there. I'll put a script "Chevrolet" emblem on it.

I was going to wet sand and give it another coat but I'll just leave it. Being rougher reminds me of him. I plan to spray rattle can bed liner inside and possibly put a black latch on it.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote