View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #21
Task Force Era

Re: "Mable" 1959 Apache Build On A S-10 Frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubie View Post
I'll be following this thread as well. You don't see very many people using an S-10 chassis under the task force bodies because of the narrow track width. We have a 58 GMC short fleetside and I also have the same S-10 that you are using as my parts truck. I bought it for the 700R4 tranny but was always interested in using the chassis as a donor.

Any information you can share regarding the work that has to go into the frame and body mounts will be very valuable

Yeah I hadn't seen many done either. But the price of the truck with a good running low miles V6 I couldn't pass it up. It's not very hot rod-ish but it'll do for now, haha....

Far as the swap goes, it went fairly smooth. For the extended cab frame we had to shorten it at the factory joint 7 inches. After tons of measuring we used the S-10 body mounts that actually fit pretty good under the Apache floor. They fit right under the steps where the cab bolts are. My fabricator just cut them and moved them forward to line up the front wheels dead center in the wheel wells. So pretty much everything under the truck is S-10. He did cut the front frame horns off of the Apache and welded to the front of the S-10 frame to be able to bolt the core support down and bolt the front bumper on. All in all it's really not a hard swap to do. I think he did it in like 2 or 3 days. Hardest part was getting that heavy cab set on it and lined up. Wish I had more pictures of the actual work to share but I don't. Just the one of the shorten section and front cab mount. When we take the cab back off to paint the frame I'll get some more pics of the back mounts and all.... With the S-10 wheels bolted on it is pretty narrow so I got a set of 15x8's with a pretty good backspace to widen it out some more. Gonna put some 235/75/15s on it to widen it even more. So it'll look pretty good when it's layed out!!
Task Force Era is offline   Reply With Quote