View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #8
hugger6933

Re: Out of the Ditch = The Rebuild Begins ('72 GMC)

Out of the box the first thing that came to mind I didn't spend any time looking at the pics[less than 30 seconds total]. i don't want to make light of this for you so please don't take it that way because I'm glad your OK and it is sheet metal. You've seen one you've seen them all. Well in my case that may be a little different than others, I rebuild late model wrecks for a living and have done so since 1987 and I look at on the average about 300 wrecks per week. Weather it is in person or on the computer, it may go as high as a 1,000 in a week if it is a special case or low as 150 if I'm really busy but 300 would be a good average of what I see.
Next thing I noticed is the sway bar. It is a good indicator of how much the frame may have moved over. For instance the shiny part of the bar is what I'm talking about it has been covered by the bushings up until the wreck and now is uncovered and that shiny is showing how much [or half as] much the frame has moved. From my years of doing this I've only run into few, very few bent sway bars. Also the thing that was [is] my niche is Chevy /GMC Silverados/ Tahoes Suburbans . S-10's lots of them. A quick way to measure the thing out is to do some simple "X" measurements. Start off under the cab, and take measurements from say the left rear to the right front. Then swap and do the opposite measurement, they should read the same or so very close. If they don't you have found the starting point of where a frame tech guy [or at least I would on my frame machine] start with the first pull to get that back. Now keep in mind when taking the "X"'s that if they are off only HALF of that number needs to come off of the measurement before becoming square once again.
Once you've checked the cab, then check the bed, it is pretty simple really so if the bed is off. If that number is good back up a little and include the front cab mounts into the mix of the measurements. That way you can take out of the picture any thing from the fire wall [cowl]back.
Now your almost done by now your an old pro at this "X" stuff. Now go to a spot on the fire wall and take it to the core support mount on the other side, then flip and check that should be it if all are super close, your ready to hang sheet metal. Don't put the tape in the thrash though it will serve you well doing the front stuff too it will help a ton on the front by using this method, it will get you super duper close on the hood before ever lifting the heavy thing, also telling you what way to go to get it lined up so the fan will be in the middle of the shroud. I hope this helps you out a little. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote