View Single Post
Old 10-22-2017, 11:14 PM   #39
75Dually

Re: 68 GMC to a 2003 Tahoe chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetucks View Post
so what are your plans for the tahoe? What all are you keeping? Is it 4x4?
So that's a really good question. First it is a 2X4 which is perfect for what I want to do. I hope to lay the pinch on the shop floor when it is all done.

As far as the plans for the Tahoe go, this is going to be a long list... Basically I'm going to be pulling the body off the frame and using the chassis of the Tahoe and putting the GMC on that running gear. I will be trying to use most of the firewall and about 4 feet of the floor pan from the Tahoe and replacing the GMC firewall and floor plan. The reason for this is so that I don't have to make all the mounting points and figure out all the stuff GM spent millions of dollars perfecting. I will retain the GMC wipers and upper cowl (I was doing a lot of measurements today!) and possibly the stock GMC dash, but the jury is still out on that for now. I might use the Tahoe dash, but it is 6" wider than the GMC dash, so something somewhere will have to give in order to make that happen.

At the beginning of this post I showed the seats I would like to use, but I might use the rear leather seats out of the second row in the Tahoe (I cleaned them up this weekend and they are in decent shape, yes they need some leather dye in some spots but all in all they are in really good shape).

I would like to use the dual zone AC from the Tahoe, but I have heard from other guys who have done this swap and they say the unit is huge and takes up all the under dash room, so I might have to buy a Vintage air system and forgo that.

So far that is my main list. There is going to be a hundred more things that I need to figure out and come up with solutions on, but those are the challenges I really like.

Hope that gives a clearer idea of what I plan for this project.
75Dually is offline   Reply With Quote