View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 12:51 AM   #83
Dads79GMC

Re: Sparky's 1978 Silverado Build "Addiction"

Last night after partially installing the cab corner and calling it quits, I slept on the fact that I was still a bit off on my cab corner, rocker panel (inner/outer) and kick panel. I knew that the inner rocker was about 1/4+ inch away from the inner cab mount and that the cab corner was out about the same!! I couldn't give in to the urge to not fixing it, even though I did say it was good enough last night......!

After work this afternoon I went out in the barn and grabbed a 1x1 square tubing (1/8 wall) and cut it at 42 inches. Then drilled two 1/4 inch holes through the tubing and clamped it to the bottom of the rocker and drilled through the tubing and into the rocker panel then attached two small turn buckles to the frame and rocker. I cut across the new outer rocker panel (horizontally) to allow for movement at that area. Keep in mind, I had not welded in the cab corner at the back of the cab, so movement was available there as well - also, no floor installed. I turned the buckles by hand and was able to draw in both the corner and the rocker approximately 1/4-3/8, and was able to get the inner rocker and inner cab mount to meet. After that, I finished tack welding the outer rocker where I had cut to allow movement, the cab corner at the back of the cab, and filled the spot welds at the inner cab mount and inner rocker junction.

BTW, the door needs aligned since i had it off today.

Pictures:
1-2 1x1 attached to rocker.
3. Turnbuckle, inner cab mount and inner rocker. This picture is after I tightened up the turnbuckles and drew in the outer rocker etc.
4. Before tightening the turnbuckle.
5. After tightening up the turnbuckle. If you look close, you can see at the bottom or the picture, the rocker has moved inward.

More to follow.

Thanks Mike
Attached Images

Dads 79 GMC Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=642929

1978 Silverado Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=756016
Dads79GMC is offline   Reply With Quote