View Single Post
Old 11-11-2018, 11:18 AM   #463
1project2many

Re: 46 pickemup in NJ "the Rebuild"

I'm here because you asked for folks in the 47-59 forum to look at pictures of brake lines.

Looks like a nice build but yikes! 19 pages to hunt through? Can ya shortcut the search and link to the pictures?

Edit... Nevermind. Looks like filters on the work PC were blocking the photos. I figured out a solution.

Also, is there a single post that lays out what hardware you're running?

It sounds like you're fighting two problems. One is that the pedal doesn't feel right, the other is that the truck doesn't stop fast enough. Is that right?

I think I saw a post that said you'd driven the truck with the vacuum line disconnected. I realize that you need legs like piledrivers to stop when the vacuum is unhooked, but is the pedal nice and high when you do this? That can be a big clue about whether or not you have a problem in the hydraulic system or a problem with the booster. Also, simple question, have you ever tried to see if all four tires stop when the brakes applied? Jack up the wheels, wedge a stick between brake pedal and seat, then try to spin the tires. Or just lock 'em up on a dirt road and look for skidmarks.

Another easy test is to plug the front brakes off at the master and see how the pedal feel changes, then switch out your plug so the rear brakes are disconnected. Since it takes pressure in both front and rear chambers of the master before you feel pressure at the pedal, this helps tell you which half of the truck is acting up. I've even plugged both ports to confirm the booster was junk (you should feel a good pedal almost instantly with both ports plugged). Easy to make a temporary plug, just take a short piece of flared tubing with a nut and fold the end opposite the flare two or three times then squeeze it in a vise or hammer it flat.

Last edited by 1project2many; 11-11-2018 at 11:38 AM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote