View Single Post
Old 03-28-2014, 12:18 PM   #16
BKSS67

Re: Worth of #'s matching 350 engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_gregh View Post
It was my understanding that the "Protecto Plate" did list the serial number of the engine. So am I understanding that the same serial number could be in multiple trucks? See the picture I've attached of my "Protecto Plate", it matches the number on the block (pad on the passenger side of my 71). Sorry I couldn't get to the engine to take a picture of the number stamped on it, but I will later today or this weekend. In this case V1210THC.
It is not a "serial number" for the engine, think of it as a "batch number". The POP lists the block number, which identifies the engine, what plant it was built, and what type of vehicle it was installed in and even a date code as well.

To answer your question, a similarly ordered truck, ordered at the same time could have similar block numbers. Nothing individually identifies it as part of an individual truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19673ontree View Post
The number on that protecto plate is not the trucks vin they made different horsepower levels it is a code that tells the plant where the engine was assembled and the horsepower ,,,
Correct, the engine listed in the POP is not part of the VIN, or other individual identification number. The POP lets you really narrow the field down to a certain batch of engine blocks. Just for simplicity's sake, it's like narrowing 50 million small block engine possibilities down to only 10,000.

Last edited by BKSS67; 03-28-2014 at 12:25 PM.
BKSS67 is offline   Reply With Quote