View Single Post
Old 05-12-2017, 11:16 AM   #22
Pinchecharlie

Re: Collapsible intermediate shaft?

65 steering shaft is 3/4 round. The steering gear box may be different splines but the one I used of a 84 was 3/4 30. Better measure and count the splines. I pulled my shaft and had a machine shop DD the last inch (40 bucks) then used a borgelson joint 3/4 DD to attach an intermediate shaft (cut to fit from speedway) then the rag joint . Basically a joint at.the stub of your steering shaft- you deciede-DD? Weld on 3/4 round or 3/4 pinned? And each joint can be ordered with whatever end you want. Example-3/4 round weld on to 1 inch DD . Or 3/4 DD to 3/4 DD. Many styles and sizes but most common are 3/4 DD and 1 inch DD. When we used to race circle.track we would just weld 3/4 round because it was easy and cheap, not safe but .. The cpp intermediate shaft looks to be the way to go. Just machine your steering shaft end.to DD and count your gear box splines,order 3/4 DD to x splines, measure , cut and bolt it on. They are very forgiving joints. But don't do what I did and cut it to short lol!
Attached Images

Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote