Thread: 47-55.1 My 53 GMC 3/4 ton project
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2021, 02:21 AM   #17
Nima
Blue 67

Re: My 53 GMC 3/4 ton project

Moving forward.
Cab is back on the frame and that was a big relief since I was nervous about replacing the floor braces. I was concern if I weld them a little off of where they were supposed to be, the cab may not line up with the frame. Next is the front end. Both leaf springs have few broken clamps and sections. I also, had a hard time figuring the outer tie rod end setup but after taking them apart, I kind of fell in love with the simplicity and the fact that you can just repair (service) anything on this front end rather than just changing parts. My inner tie rod (or steering connector?!) was bend a little. It seems the truck took a hit on the front cross member at some point but fortunately the frame is okay. I heat the rod and wacked it few times until it was straight again and then to reinforce it, I use 1" tube with enough wall thickness to be able to slide the tube over the rod. I made holes along the tube and I tack welded to the tie rod. Spindles felt very tight therefore I didn't mess with king pins at this point. I hope I don't regret that too early on! Finally, a fresh coat of the paint and then 8 lug disc conversion went on.
One thing that I don't know is if I have to fix the front cross member. What bolts to the front lip? I don't want to mess with it if I don't have to.
Cheers!
Attached Images

1979 Camaro Z28: 5.3 vortec conversion with build TH350: drivable project, Fun to drive
1992 Camaro RS convertible (Z28 clone): 5.3 conversion with build T5: on going project
2005 Silverado 2500, 4x4 Duramax, original owner
Nima is offline   Reply With Quote