View Single Post
Old 06-27-2004, 03:16 AM   #3
ante_up13

I am currently rebuilding my 69 c-10 front end and you can do pretty much everything yourself. I removed the old upper balljoints with a drill with a carbite bit to take the heads of the factory rivets off and a punch to knock the rest of the rivet through...it is much cheaper than an air chisel. As for the upper control arm bushings...I got a oversized socket set from Harbor Freight for like $30...I needed two big sockets of different sizes...one for the upper control arm bushings and one for the lower.

I started the upper control arm bushings off while the shaft was still on the truck...then I unbolted the shaft and continued to take the bushings after removing the upper control arm from the truck...as for the lower balljoints...I got a balljoint service kit at Harbor Freight for $20...With the press that comes in that kit I plan on removing and installing new ones...I will attempt tommorrow and will let you know how it goes...but from what I hear it shouldn't be a problem...Check out tech articles at Early Classic Enterprises and Classic Performance...both websites are listed on the homepage of the forum under suspension...take note that when you try to get the balljoints loose with a pickle fork that you want to do it with the castle nuts still on the truck...just loosen them and don't take them completely off and bang the balljoints loose...then use a jack under the lower control arm after you get the balljoints loose to relieve the pressure of the coil springs and then take the nuts off and lower the jack slowly...check out the tech articles previously mentioned...they might be under the lowering of a truck but there are some valid points of reference...If you are looking for parts...I got mine from Early Classic and their tech support is great and they ship it quick...good luck and I will let you know how the lower balljoints and lower control arm shaft go on

Last edited by ante_up13; 06-27-2004 at 03:26 AM.
ante_up13 is offline   Reply With Quote