View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 10:29 PM   #14
Erik V

Re: Resurrection of a Family Friend

Wow, sorry for the long delay-my 'other' cars took priority as they are my dd's.

So I got some wrenching time in on the Jimmy, found the fuel line is not passing any fuel from the tank up to the pump, but the engine turns over smooth. So I removed the line going to the tank, and ran a new hose directly from the mech. pump straight down into a gas can. Took a few primes by pouring fuel down the belly of the beast (I say beast, but we all now the Q-jet is far from beastly), and it roared to life! Oh my goooooosh has it been too long. I was instantly transported back to HS, this thing sounds great. ...until the squirrel/mouse condos came blowing out the turbo mufflers. I didnt let it run too long since I havnt filled the coolant, but now that I know the motor doesnt knock, I can do that. When I shut it down, fuel was leaking out of everywhere so either the float is stuck, or the carb itself didnt age well sitting in the shed forever. Engine is a 1979 2bolt 350 from a Caprice. So next up will be a aftermarket intake/carb if I dont source a stock replacement soon. Gotta flush the lines, and probably drop the tank to make sure the internal sock filter isnt gummed up. Good thing Mom bought me that plastic OEM looking replacement tank senior year of HS, it should come out fairly easily.

I'm going to install new U joints in the front driveline before installing just for the peace of mind. So I have some more quick chores to accomplish before I take it out for its first real drive. The rear master cylinder chamber is all but dry, so it looks like a thorough bleeding of the brakes should tell me where that fluid has gone, and what needs replaced.

No pics, over the holidays my digicam gave up. So I'll borrow one as soon as Jimmy can drive himself out of the garage on his own.

Which brings up an irrelevent question: Is it alright to have a male gendered rig? Far be it to be judgemental-but none of my cars are very feminane despite the fact that 2 of them were aimed at 16-19 year old girls when new. *shruggs*

Thanks for all the well wishes and input. I'm so glad I found this forum.

Erik
Erik V is offline   Reply With Quote