View Single Post
Old 01-28-2021, 01:31 PM   #24
GMJimmy

Re: Exhaust decision, opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom 68 View Post
Since it is just loud I would say a muffler change would be in order. I googled your setup and it said "aggressive sound" so I would say it lives up to its name. Sound and loudness are so subjective. You may need a little modification to fit a different muffler in but it should be minimal. Magnaflow was and is ok, (IMO) but I swapped mine to Borla and really like it. Again it is a subjective.
Dave
I bought the truck with the existing exhaust system and who ever installed it welded it in at every joint. The only way to change the mufflers would be to cut them out. I don't really like the system and was thinking of replacing it because at one point it ducks under the cross member the trailing arms are attached to. I wanted to C notch it too but the exhaust is in the way and won't allow the extra travel the C notch provides. I would have to do something with the bed for clearance too. I'm a mechanic and have all the tools and welding equipment to do it but the cost far out weighs the benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself View Post
-Trucks and SUV's tend to 'drone' in the first place.
-Dynamat or similar product in the cab helps a TON!
-Before spending a bunch of money try installing RESONATORS right BEFORE the mufflers. I've done custom exhaust on a 4cyl and two 6 cylinder rigs of ours. Do you know what a Jeep straight six with a stainless longtube header, no cat, and flowmaster muffler sounds like?!!? Put a resonator BEFORE the muffler and it's a completely different sound....smoother note (not crackly) and half the decibels....no joke! My Nissan Xterra with a 3.3 V6 has stainless mid length headers, one pair of high flow cats, 2.5" pipe, a stainless resonator (just like thesehttps://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Mufflers-Exhaust-2-5-Inlet-Outlet-20-Long-Resonator-Stainless-Silencer/192787047257?hash=item2ce300e359:g:xjkAAOSwmepcCeBU), and a Flowmaster FlowFX muffler! It has a nice smooth, deepish, sound. Not fart canish at all. The guy at the muffler shop said he would NOT have believed it would sound this good if he'd not heard it himself! Also stated he will remember this little trick for smoothing or toning down a raspy exhaust.
Thanks for the suggestions but there isn't any room for resonators.
GMJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote