View Single Post
Old 07-08-2020, 08:45 AM   #16
RyanAK

Re: 1978 K10 Suburban Suspension Assessment

Thanks for chiming in, Richard. Your build looks great. I'm not looking for a car-like ride... I actually enjoy the ride of a solid-axle truck. But don't want my teeth rattled either. The Suburban gets used as a DD... family hauler and truck stuff. Just brought a heavy load of lumber home with it. Squatted pretty good. Made the front end light and a little squirrely...

Looks like there were quite a few options for Suburban front springs as far as spring rate and number of leafs. A couple steps between 1/2 ton and full 3/4 so should be able to choose something appropriate there. Anyone have a source for stock shackles?

Rear springs... I just want to bring it back to stock height or a bit higher and be able to control the squat when loaded. They'll get swapped because the bushings are shot and I'll be pulling the leafs for that, so might as well get new/fresh leaf packs to put in to bring the back up where it should be.

I've thought about helper bags but think I'd go with a progressive helper spring... it's there all the time, doesn't need to be aired up or down, and only comes into play when there's enough weight to engage the helpers. Sorta set and forget. Doesn't seem like it's as popular a strategy as bags and I haven't been able to find much about them on the forum. Wish I could get some thoughts on these.

This stuff is fun, eh?

Meet 'Earl', '71 C10 Suburban - Sold, but not forgotten...

Meet... yet to be named, ‘78 K10 Suburban Daily Driver
RyanAK is offline   Reply With Quote