View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 05:29 PM   #96
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: Palf's 1981 GMC

Well got at it early this morning. Started pulling the plugs. #6 was first and it looked damp. The other 5 looked very clean and normal. So I hooked up the remote starter and cranked the engine. Soon as I did # 6 was spitting out small amounts of water/stuff. All others were clean. So tore down things to get the head off. A 6 popper head is HEAVY to lift out of the engine bay yourself, just sayin.🤓

The rear 2 head bolts didn't feel as snug as the rest, but with the head off the engine itself looks clean to me (well way cleaner than the outside). No water was in the cylinder other than a drop or two.

Again head looks clean except for #6. Ran a strait edge and it seems to be straight. The head gasket was a bit deteriorated around # 6, so I am assuming that is the issue. I noticed some issues with the exhaust manifold, beside breaking off some bolts in it.

Rest of the engine looks good, so right now my plan is to keep the 6 and do the head swap to the older style non-integrated head. I have a 4bbl Offenhauser intake and a Holley carb, but will need to get some headers. I will have to see what other brackets I will need for the head swap. Since it will take a while to gather funds and parts, I think I will pull the block and regasket everything and clean the engine bay up while I am waiting.

Looks like no driving for a while.
Attached Images

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote