View Single Post
Old 09-02-2019, 02:25 PM   #61
FLYNAVY30

Re: Why aren't classic Suburbans "popular"??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indychus View Post
It's a matter of practicality for me. I love the way a burb looks, and the functionality can't be beat. I would love to have one. However, I can't afford $30k+ for a nice one and there's no way in hell I can get the body off of one in my 2 car garage to do a proper restoration. I've done more than a few trucks, and I can pull the cab and bed off by myself with an engine hoist. Even if I could figure out a way to get the body off of a burb, I couldn't roll it over to repair the bottom or store it easily while I did chassis work.

A lot of hot rodders and restorers migrated to trucks from muscle cars and rods because they were easier to work on because the cab and bed come off separately and are relatively light weight. I'd be willing to bet that there are plenty of guys like me who would kill to have a bad ass burb but are at a loss on how to manage building one.

I hear ya. When the time comes, my plan is to unbolt the body from the frame, and use my quick jack on each side to lift the body just high enough to roll the chasis out and roll a dolly back under it. Then Ill trailer the body to someone who knows what they're doing (Austin Speed Shop) for rust repair and paint while I blow the chasis apart and restore that. Then do the same thing in reverse for reassembly.
FLYNAVY30 is offline   Reply With Quote