View Single Post
Old 05-17-2016, 03:25 PM   #28
Northwest Outlaw

Re: '61 Apache "BoomStick"

The logical next step after installing the disc brakes is...you guessed it, brake lines, master cylinder and booster! woo hoo! Picked up fittings and pre-flared lengths of hardline from my local parts shop, Roxbury Complete Auto Supply (fully would recommend to anyone in West Seattle) Saturday morning. By 730pm I had all the lines run, MC and booster mounted and brake pedal re-connected.
Using the old line from the cross member as a guide I bent the new lines to fit right back in the same location, although now there are separate lines for front and rear. Spent 45 min bending modeling wire as mock ups for the drops from the MC to the cross member, cause you know that looks are everything!
Drilled holes in the firewall for the power booster, i know that makes some people cringe. If you knew the condition of my truck you wouldn't think twice, but on the next one i'll get a fancy mounting bracket. Inside the cab i needed to add a coupler and length of thread to extend the brake push rod and allow for some adjustment capability in the pedal. After the install i checked to make sure the push rod wouldn't extend too far when the pedal bottomed out, a precaution i wouldn't have thought about without the guidance of a hotrod buddy.
Final step will installing a Wilwood proportioning valve for the rear brakes. Package tracking shows it being delivered today, so i should be able to get the system wet and start bleeding this evening. If i can convince the wifey to help me!
Attached Images

Northwest Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote