View Single Post
Old 12-23-2019, 08:05 AM   #838
special-K
Special Order

Re: Vintage picture thread

I think the same thoughts about cars that were old back then weren't really so old. And look at the age of what I drive today. I'm making my living out of a 25 year old Suburban today. When I started driving in '71 that would have been a '46. I started out with an old '56. And I completely rebuilt it... took it out of the woods on a family friend's farm. It was free for the taking.

Real nice Coupe. '40 Fords were a favorite of mine when I was a kid. I spied one down in a junk yard from the road cut up high on the hillside. I was all excited and told my dad I wanted to go look at it. I was building car models since I was 6. Dad had a warmed over '36 before I was born. My 8th birthday ('63) came up shortly after and to my joy Dad said he was taking me to check it out. It was a complete car sitting close to the office. I guess I was fantasizing about us buying it, and dad must have had the same thought. We were disappointed to see the junk yard owner had marked all over the windows "No Parts!", "Keep Off!", and "Not For Sale"

Also, one of my dad's friends was keeping a '40 Sedan at our place when I was 12-13 ('67/'68). It was a former drag car. It had 75 & 80 Drag-A-Way class winner decals on the rear quarter glass, and other speed equipment decals. It had a 4spd (probably Muncie), slicks, and tach on the column with a metalflake Steering wheel, no back seat or bumpers. I was out there banging gears every chance I got. Probably trashed that trans

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-23-2019 at 08:13 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote