View Single Post
Old 01-19-2020, 09:51 PM   #4
joedoh

Re: Project "Bickle" 1948 1/2 ton 4.3 4l60e

I terrorized the neighborhood for a couple days to shake it down, needs tie rods, balljoints look recent. very pleasingly nice truck, it is the SLS ZQ8, so its already factory lowered and has a fat front sway bar and rear sway bar and hop shock too! score!

so that is the start of Bickle. what else am I up to? glad you asked.

I needed to organize the shop so we can start weatherproofing and installing insulation and lights and outlets, but I have been in the (bad) habit of just opening the door and throwing my newfound treasures in.

this wouldnt do, so I spent a saturday organizing. amazing how much room there is once you work a little.

and room is what I needed. because:

a couple months ago I had an extra GMC painted grille for sale and a nice guy from oklahoma calls me and said will you ship? even though he is in oklahoma, shipping would cost twice what I am asking for the grille ($50). but I am bored, and its a rare nice day, so I say how about I meet you around the KS/OK border? it will save you about 3 hours of driving with the turn, and will be faster than shipping anyway. he is pleasantly surprised, so we do just that and meet up, saving him time and tolls. we chat a bit, he asks about my trucks and why I dont keep any, I tell him I have a plan for a shop truck but it hasnt materialized yet, a 55-56 big back glass with a 58-59 fleetside bed. he gets a funny smile, and says "like this?" and shows me a 56 big glass 1/2 ton and a separate fleetside bed. he gives me a good price, no doubt because I drove 3 hours to bring him a $50 grille (net profit after gas and lunch: $12). so we shook hands and made plans, and last weekend I drove to Tulsa.

the fleet bed is hiding back there on the flatbed.

good thing I made room!

and because I am just that kind of guy, I knew I was driving to tulsa so why "waste" a trip to only pick up one thing? I found these on marketplace too, stockton wheel 15x8 reverse and stretched clip cap wheels. the matching pair will cost a mint, but the set of 4 will be a bar-GAIN.

are we done yet OH NO NOT YET
Attached Images

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote