View Single Post
Old 12-03-2019, 05:13 PM   #1
QBRacing

LS Radiator, Expansion Tank, Steam Port Question

Hey all.

I am building a 58 Apache and have a 2000 LS1 in the engine bay from a Holden Commodore, (similar setup to a 2000 Camaro).
I have the engine in and have mounted the factory Commodore radiator (similar to image 1) which sits higher than the heads and water outlet. I have connected a Trickflow steam-port setup (refer 3rd image) but have now started thinking about other options.

My understanding is that the LS1 engines run the steam tubes as the radiator sits low factory and this can cause bubbles/air or hotspots to form in the heads. Also the water outlet is lower than the heads... By running the steam ports to the radiator and out to a expansion tank as long as this is higher the bubbles get removed and you have no hot spots ....

Rather than have to pay an engineer time and big moola to make a custom alloy expansion tank (I don't like the ugly plastic one) I found that I can get a bolt in replacement radiator with a radiator cap (like image 2).

If I did this, being that my cap would be sitting above the heads I could simply run a normal overflow bottle which is a lot cheaper. Problem I see is that it doesn't have anywhere for the steam-vent tube to connect to and I believe I would still need this as the outlet is lower than the heads still.

I was thinking I could just make an alloy pipe to place in the top tube which I could connect the steam port tube too and thereby allow any bubbles or hot spots to be eliminated.

Would this work as it sounds way to easy in theory and would probably work out a fair bit cheaper too..

Quintin
Attached Images

Last edited by QBRacing; 12-03-2019 at 05:14 PM. Reason: spelling errors
QBRacing is offline   Reply With Quote