Thread: 4L80 damaged
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2020, 08:54 PM   #10
Richard

Re: 4L80 damaged

What I would expect him to say. That is what I come across when speaking to a lot of folks. Most people do not use low range much, if at all. So it is not dealt with. The question I would ask is why do most of the 4x4 "e" transmissions have the rear reluctor eliminated? The 205 is only a 1.96. So in low your wheel speed is almost double what the computer sees. The much newer version electronics like mine are handled by a separate TCCM (transfer case control module) works with the TCM and ECM. I believe a separate shift table is used for low range operation in this combo. Sorry for the ramble. Short answer has already been said, it works. But I am not convinced it is right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adzints7 View Post
So I just spoke to Tod at T’s cases who is extremely knowledgeable in these NP205 cases. He is not a 4l80 expert per se, however he has helped with many conversions involving them in front of the NP205’s and he said that as long as the ecu can read correct output speed at the rear transmission sensor, then it doesn’t need to know what the case is doing, 2hi, 4hi, 4lo, front only etc...I had asked if I should make provisions to utilize the VSS on the NP205 and he said no.

So maybe that is all I need? I appreciate the help and the more advice, thoughts and opinions the better. To me it makes sense that the controller doesn’t need to know what the case is doing, as long as I don’t try to drive 75 in 4lo, right? Appropriate speed will leave the tranny in the appropriate gear thereby driving the case within its rpm range.

Am I on the right track or am I missing something? Thanks again!
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote