View Single Post
Old 10-18-2020, 09:09 PM   #179
Duncan K

Re: 66 GMC Long to Short LS Swap

Finally finished the exhaust system, to the rear axle anyway. I didn't like that it was rigid all the way from the headers back so I added some flex couplers. Also welded some stainless tabs to mount it to the frame with rubber isolators.

Got a steering shaft built. I machined some double d shaft out of some round bar. I used a coupler to go from DD to round, welded both ends up and drilled for a roll pin just to be safe.

Last thing I needed to tackle before I could drive it was the brakes. I bled the master and went to bleed the lines. Leaks everywhere!! spent the better part of 2 days tightening, redoing flares and lines, vacuum bleeding. What a disaster! In the end I managed to get the brakes working but still don't have a very firm pedal. Its enough to stop the truck on a test drive though.

Unfortunately I didn't manage to beat the snow but I was able to take it for a cruise up and down the driveway a couple times. It was a chilly test drive with no doors or windshield and I was sitting on milk crate, but I got to finally get behind the wheel after 3 years. Having it drivable will give me the motivation to get back on the metal work this winter. Still need to finish rust repair on the hood, inner fenders, doors and box.