View Single Post
Old 02-04-2021, 11:11 PM   #197
Duncan K

Re: 66 GMC Long to Short LS Swap

Brought the box into the shop and got it taken apart. Box sides are pretty rough, rear sill is rotted out, the rest of the sills have plenty of rust holes, wheel arches are pretty much rusted out as well.

I've never liked how the wheel isn't centred in the opening on these trucks. So instead of removing the standard 12" and 8" I mocked up the bedside in front of the wheel at ride height and centred the wheel and marked the centre on the box side. Then measured from the centre of the axle to the back of the cab and applied this measurement to the box side. Ended up removing around 14" in front of the wheel opening, and 6" behind it.

Made some cardboard templates and then cut some wooden bucks to help work the sides back into shape. I used the inner buck as a hammer form, and the outer to clamp against the side. I heated up stretched areas with a torch and then rapidly cooled then with a wet rag while the buck was clamped on the outside. I used the hammer and dolly until my arm nearly fell off. First side came out ok.