View Single Post
Old 03-30-2020, 04:46 PM   #14
MikeN

Re: **cooling system issue**

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRabbit4 View Post

It turned over, let it idle some to see how it would run then turned it off. Today, I filled the antifreeze to in the radiator normal height, replaced some rubber hoses and fuel line that attach to the new carb. New PCV valve line as well.

The truck wouldn't turn over so I went to check that I didn't unhook something. The radiator was bubbling and overflowing down the overflow tube. I knew it would explode if I took the cap off.

What could make this truck cooling system build up so much pressure in the radiator? It never started (battery needs jumped again). Just turned the engine about 15 seconds but no attempt to start up. Also, I'm replacing the heater core in a few days when that part comes in.

If the engine never started, the coolant never got hot (so no boiling, no thermal expansion) and no exhaust gasses to leak into the coolant even if you did have a defective head gasket. It would therefore be impossible to have pressure in your radiator. Any bubbling and overflowing would just be air pockets working their way to the highest point of the system.
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote