View Single Post
Old 01-20-2015, 10:17 AM   #24
special-K
Special Order

Re: old style locking hubs

Not to argue here. I agree the Spicers are perfectly good hubs. But the hubs we're talking about here are better, if for no other reason, no plastic. Figure Spicer first made all metal hubs, too. Then by '69*, when most trucks got lock outs, they went to plastic (I figure) as a way to gain more profit. It certainly wasn't to make them stronger. One of the biggest mistakes people make is using grease outside of the wheel bearings. The other is doing no service at all. Servicing required, clean and lube...with oil.

* Plastic in grille,too. And in '72, first plastic door panels. In '73, mucho mas plastico

I do different things on different trucks. I'd use Spicers on an original truck, and have had them on about every truck I've had. But, it's way cool to use period correct upgrades on the right truck, just like Hickey stuff, Eagle Ventures hoods, aluminum slots, Ramsey winch/bumper, etc. I started out modifying these trucks when they were newer. Who wants a boring stock old man truck? And I why not increase performance to add to the pleasure? I've bought most of my cool aftermarket hubs from guys who had to have the Spicers. i like them all. I have a N.O.S. set of Spicers and even some red '70 nobs to color coordinate my GMC.

Those knob-type Selectros were available from many sources with their own name on them. Here are some examples:
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote