Thread: Berthas Build
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #61
dfairchild19

Re: Berthas Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesburb View Post
Kinda quite around here....... You preparing for one of your massive update/photo dumps??
Well, kind of.

Ill have to make the time to give an update for you guys. I got married at the end of September(see last post's date.......) and we have been getting settled in to our new house and enjoying married life since then.

She does start and run flawlessly. I believe that I did make some progress since the last time i updated. I am at a bit of a crossroads on where to take this build and have had the past 5 months to ponder the couple of directions i could take her. I have an AAW wiring harness that I will definitely be installing but there is one or two slightly major obstacles preventing me from doing so. The cab supports need replaced and there is a small rust hole in the middle of the driver floor pan that needs repaired. I am going to sooner or later(see below options) replace this sheet metal, undercoat(suggestions?) the cab and bed, heat and sound insulate the cab(suggestions?), and give her some diy paint(I have the space and equipment available so i will invest a bit of time and money here to get it straight and crisp, but this truck will be driven so i am not looking/paying for show quality, driver quality will be plenty for me). Suggestions on a diy friendly paint system would be nice. I have looked into the Summit and Duplicolor Paintshop 1 stage systems but have no experience with them. So with all of that, these are my two options:

1) Install the wiring harness(the only wiring currently in the truck is under the dash) and run the body as is. I will have to remove body down the road to undercoat, shave hvac holes in firewall, fix cab supports and floor pans, and to spray between bed and cab. If i install the wiring harness i will have to work around it when i go to disassemble to paint down the road. Pros of this option are that i am able to drive it sooner, i dont have all of the metal and body work to do, and I will be able to work out all of the bugs and be able to tweak, add, remove and change things before having the worry of scratching fresh paint. Cons are that i will have to completely disassemble the body to do all of option two in a couple of years, if i get around to it.

2) Pull cab and bed (very few things to do to be able to pull cab and bed)to replace cab supports and floor pan, undercoat, insulate, and paint. Reassemble with clean and repaired body, install wiring harness and rest of finishing touches. Pros of this option are that I will have done it right the first time and I will have a finished truck when I get it back together. Cons of this option are that it will take longer to be able to drive and enjoy this never ending money pit, which is another con, MONEY!

I think that I would regret not doing it right the first time. I have come this far in the project and would hate to cut it short after all of this work.

I am all ears to any suggestions anyone has on any of this.
dfairchild19 is offline   Reply With Quote