View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 11:38 PM   #10
Baime

Re: 1971 GMC C2500 rear end questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbill72 View Post
That is a Dana 60. There is almost every part in one of those still available. I know there is a 3.55 and 3.08 ratios available. With the cost of a new gear set, installation and all that goes with it a junk yard rear end my be cheaper.
Dozer,
Wow, that is some exciting news for me. It is also a completely different answer than what I got from the guy my friend knows, who changes out differentials as a side job.

In his defense, he never physically looked at my truck. I sent that same photo to my friend, and I assumed he forwarded it to that guy. I'm checking on that now. Maybe he just assumed that a 1971 GMC 3/4 ton would have the Eaton HO 52 rear end.

So based on the fact it is a Dana 60, I should be able to change out the differential to a different gear, and even go to a positraction rear end if I want.

If I get a used rear end, I would most likely change out the differential anyway.

You said this would be expensive. Any idea what this should cost for a positraction rear end differential? Parts? Labor?

Is there a preferred differential manufacturer?

Thanks again for your comments. JP
Baime is offline   Reply With Quote