Thread: 55.2-59 Brake booster opinions
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2020, 02:48 AM   #5
dsraven

Re: Brake booster opinions

I would check the master cylinder bore size you have, which also factors in, also the mechanical advantage given by the pedal leverage (like how far away from the pedal pivot is the pushrod for the master cylinder/booster connection) and then choose a booster for your system, be that disc disc, disc drum or drum drum. Sometimes I compare our trucks to other trucks the same size roughly. A regular full size truck is bigger and has bigger brakes etc. An S10 is more like it really for size of brake components you have and size/weight of the trucks. They used G body brakes so smaller than a regular sized truck. A quick search I found they came with disc front and drum rear or disc/disc on some models. Disc/disc also uses a different master cyl because there would be no built in residual valve for the rear drums. They used a 9" dual diaphragm booster or an 11" single diaphragm booster. How does that compare with your set up?
A larger master cylinder means more pedal effort is required for the same amount of hydraulic pressure in the system, if all other things in the system stayed the same. this can be offset by a different pedal ratio, meaning a longer dimension from the pedal pivot to the pushrod or a longer pedal lever. Bear in mind that a longerlever also means more pedal travel for the same amount of fluid output at the master cyl. You can see that one thing affects the other so compare apples to apples. Using an s10 booster and master would work but to keep with the apples to apples theme you would also need to keep the pedal ratio the same, follow?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote