View Single Post
Old 01-26-2014, 02:39 AM   #99
texjake

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh View Post
Checked the oil and drove mine for the first time in two weeks today. Went to the machinist's to show him the truck...He was closed. Good for him.
So, I settled for taking RAT to the barber that's been asking me for five years if I really had a truck.

for me to finally stop by. He liked RAT.

Hey! On another subject. And, although mine's already done and spinning nicely (for $165), I have a question about carrier bearings and driveshafts.
With the fail rate that I read about in these carrier bearings, how come everyone doesn't just junk the bearing and have a one-piece driveshaft made up?

Why did The General do it with a two-piece?

I'm six inches lower in the back...So, when I had mine done, I measured with that consideration, if that's an issue.
I found this about two piece driveshaft vs one piece driveshaft;

Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
It has to do with propshaft (aka "driveshaft") critical speed.

What you guys might be missing is that propshaft critical speed not just based on wheelbase but is also based on trans type (length), rear axle ratio, tire size, and engine type (larger engines allowing a higher top speed) AND/OR any strange resonances in that particular combination (camping out on that resonance will break the trans/transfer case tailshaft housing).

So - a long wheelbase truck with a low (numerical) rear axle ratio spins the shaft slower and might get a one piece, but an otherwise comparable truck with a high rear axle ratio might get a two piece.

One other comment - critical speed is not directly related to balance, but rigidity. When the shaft exceeds it's critical speed it begins to bow in the middle and swing like a jump rope. Hence the disturbance and durability concerns.

You can get around it by going to a larger diameter steel tube - or more expensive alternative materials like aluminum, carbon fiber or "metal matrix" (an aluminum/carbon wrap).

So - on the two 350 trucks - there could have been a tire difference that put it over the edge, or perhaps a different horsepower rating which would allow for a higher top speed. I can assure you there was something different there that is not obvious to us after the fact