View Single Post
Old 05-07-2016, 03:30 PM   #12
factorystock

Re: Split Rim Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddo View Post
I took it to the local tire place & they wouldn't dismount the tire or mount a new tire because they said that they didn't have the equipment to deal with the split rims. (They recommended a truck shop.)
This is why I always mention to take these rims to a truck tire dealer only, don't waste your time at car tire places. The horror stories always come out when multipiece rims are mentioned, but nobody ever has the specifics on what rim came apart and why. What it the 20" Firestone RH 5? Was it a 16" rim? A 15" rim? A 17" rim? Assembled correctly? Were mis matched parts from different manufacture rims used? Plenty of graphic stories, no details. Anyway, my take on 1/2 ton mulit piece rims: over engineered for loads a 1/2 ton pickup can carry. You'll blow out bearings and axle shafts before damaging the rims. Most of the time, 1/2 tons rims are not worth the extra cost associated with dealing with them, especially when there are plenty of 6 lug 1 piece rims out there that will accept correct hubcap. I make exceptions when it comes to pre '69 3/4 ton original pickups. In this case, there are not plenty of 8 lug 1 piece wheels out there that will accept correct hubcap, then it would be worth the extra cost dealing these multi-piece rims.

Last edited by factorystock; 05-07-2016 at 03:35 PM.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote