View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #20
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Re: Cooling system issue....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevytruckluver View Post
I would run a 180 deg thermostat if it were me. If you think about this when the water is circulating through the engine it is stopped inlarge part by the t-stat until the t-stat reaches its setpoint in your case 160 then it opens and then water moves through the radiator. When the t-stat is closed and water is stopped in the engine it is also stopped in the radiator allowing the air moving through the radiator to cool the water back down. If you run a cooler t-stat the water wont stay in the radiator long enough to cool back down. just my .02
good luck with it
ummm...not really...this is copied from Stewart Warner FAQ

"A common misconception is that if coolant flows too quickly through the system, that it will not have time to cool properly. However the cooling system is a closed loop, so if you are keeping the coolant in the radiator longer to allow it to cool, you are also allowing it to stay in the engine longer, which increases coolant temperatures. Coolant in the engine will actually boil away from critical heat areas within the cooling system if not forced through the cooling system at a sufficiently high velocity. This situation is a common cause of so-called "hot spots", which can lead to failures."

Basically moving coolant is better than idle coolant....and a higher velocity is better than slow moving...thats why we have high flow water pumps if slow or idle were better we should all use stock flow pumps ...even race cars
RUSHNBOBO is offline   Reply With Quote